Music makes the world go round, doesn’t it? That’s very true for a lot of people. I mean, think about it. It’s almost impossible for many a man to go a single day without shoving a pair of earphones into his ears. The same goes for me; and for you too, I’m sure. Whether you’re playing that viral track making rounds all over the internet, or perhaps just lounging around as old-school tracks make you reminisce about your youthful days, there’s always something good to be found in music.
As a matter of fact, music is so pervasive the ocean itself can’t stop us from listening to it. How? Simple, really. Technology, innovation, desire and persistence have led to the birth of waterproof mp3 players. It is said ‘necessity is the mother of invention’, so I guess mankind deemed it necessary to listen to music even when underwater. Why wait to be on land when your music can play just as well in the water?
Waterproof earphones are a great innovation. The only problem lies with how many of them are saturating the market. Many of them are great; many of them are not-so-great. My job here is to help you pick out the best ones sitting on shelves or waiting online for you to click on them.
Alright then, let’s begin. Pull on your swimming trunks and slap on your swimming goggles. All you need now is an mp3 player. As soon as I’m done helping you pick one out, you can splash around in a pool or the sea until your arms admit defeat.
Best Waterproof Mp3 Players
Detailed Description of the Waterproof Mp3 Players
1- Sigomatech 8GB Swimming
The Sigomatech is the perfect companion for both casual and hardcore swimmers. Swimmers can dive with this player for a depth of up to 10 feet. One of its most distinctive features are its earphones short cords. This length means a far lesser chance of the swimmer getting his arms entangled with them when swimming. Simply put, you can do your breaststrokes, backstrokes and sidestrokes (that’s a lot of strokes) without annoying interference by the cords.
- This variant of the mp3 player comes equipped with an internal 8GB memory.
- Comes with an inbuilt battery capable of lasting 12 hours when fully charged.
- Is compatible with mp3, WMA and WAV formats.
- Can be accessed by both Windows OS and Mac without a need for third-party software.
- The bass response is one of the better ones given by an mp3 player.
- The simple touch controls make operating the player easier.
- Comes with 2 extra pairs of interchangeable earbud tips.
- The waterproof build is very lightweight
- The pack with the extra earbuds all come with an attractive price tag.
- Despite the 8GB storage, portability is not traded for functionality.
- There is lack of Bluetooth compatibility.
- Quite a few number of models have been reported as failing to hold the estimated number of hours after full charge.
- Is liable to generate heat even after minor usage.
- Users have claimed some operating systems don’t recognize the device.
- Despite the 1-year warranty, many users have reported the lifespan of the product ranging between 5 to 6 months.
2. Sony NWZWS613 Bluetooth
Sony has always been known as a world-class producer of music players, beginning way back with the first and original Sony Walkman that evolved into many variants-the Sony NWZWS613 being one of them. This player is tough, durable, built to withstand all types of terrains and yet, it’s still comfortable too. Bluetooth and NFC wireless connectivity makes it stand out among other mp3 players because it makes possible streaming from a smartphone; not to mention its simple yet sleek design.
- Supports mp3, WMA, AAC, FLAC and Linear PCM formats.
- It comes with over 6 different types of play modes.
- The device is waterproof to a depth of 3 meters and it can be safely submerged in water for at least 30 minutes.
- The battery reaches max charge at approximately 1.5 hours, but it has a life of 12 hours during continuous music play.
- It’s dustproof too so it’s perfect for use on land as much as in water.
- The wireless design simply means ease of use.
- The device comes with a feature that allows access to multiple music services, chief among them being iTunes.
- The Sony audio technology provides for a crisp and rich sound quality utilizing features like Clear Stereo and Clear Bass.
- Even though it takes over an hour to fully charge the device, with just 3 minutes of charge, you can get at least 60 minutes of battery life.
- Comes with 4GB of memory.
- Audiophiles, or people with an extreme love and interest for high quality-sound may still find the quality of what the Sony NWZWS613 offers less than satisfactory.
- Certain customers and users claim the sound given by the earphones when swimming underwater is muffled and disrupted.
- Not the smallest mp3 player out there.
- There is no lock mode so accidental button pressing is very probable.
- The dock station could have been made with a better and more practical design.
3. AudioFlood iPod Shuffle
iPods are synonymous with music, so it’s only proper a waterproof variant was made. The main distinguishing feature of this device is how all the electrical units and components are encased and sealed tight. This of course means no empty air spaces, which only means it’s impossible for water to get into it.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Short cords allow for versatility when swimming
- Comes with a swim cap and swim bag for the iPod, along with other accessories.
- Battery life lasts up to 15 hours.
- Comes equipped with a clip for easy attachment to a strap, clothes, etc.
- Sound quality is fantastic.
- The large memory makes possible storage of enough music.
- The clip is a much-appreciated feature because it makes the device even more portable than it already is.
- The size and compact shape make it perfect for swimming.
- Great volume range means music can be heard perfectly even underwater.
- Some may find the player a bit too small; especially people with larger hands.
- Overtime, the earbuds can start becoming lax and loose.
- Longer cords may be more suitable for some users, particularly because of the angle of the fit.
4. Aerb MD190 W
This mp3 player is lightweight and undeniably looks cool. The device and the earphones were built to last. I say this because both can remain submerged for over 24 hours without sustaining any damage. You have to admit that’s very impressive.
- The curvilinear and elegant shape of this device makes it very appealing.
- Supports the major audio formats: mp3 and WMA.
- Equipped with a rechargeable li-polymer battery, the device also has lights that change color indicating numerous functions.
- This mp3 player comes with a rotatable clip for your convenience. The clip can be attached to swimming goggles, waist belt, straps and anything else you wish.
- The extra earbuds come indifferent sizes and design so they can fit any size of ear.
- The device is ‘smart’ because if it’s turned on with no music files in it, it will automatically turn off to conserve battery
- Has limited support for audio formats
- It’s quite fragile, so even slightly rough handling can damage it.
- The sound quality pales in comparison to other waterproof mp3 players.
5. Pyle InFlex Fitness
This is a device that does more than just play music. It can also answer phone calls. Even better, the earphones are compatible with virtually every smart phone in the market. The IPX8 waterproof rating means the earphones are at their best when used underwater. And the 8GB of storage equals storage of over 2,500 songs to keep you energized during swims or intense workout sessions.
- Made and designed to be flexible; so they can bend and are adjustable.
- Supports Bluetooth connectivity for wireless audio streaming.
- 8GB of storage is enough to store all your favorite songs.
- The Simple Touch Button Controls make for a free and hassle-free experience.
- Use of the device is further made easier by the “Drag and Drop” feature in the music management system.
- The design of the player makes it a universal size that can fit anyone.
- Users and customers have claimed the device normally has a short life span.
- Organizing the music files through a computer can prove cumbersome for some.
- The sound volume leaves much to be desired as users claim it’s on the low side.
6. FINIS Duo MP3 Player
This is another one of the more unique mp3 players out there. More than the two-piece design, the Bone Conduction audio transmission was designed to deliver crisp sounds of the highest quality from the cheekbones all the way through to the inner ear.
- A rare feature this device has is its compatibility with podcast and audiobooks, and also iTunes.
- Can play files in the mp3 and WMA format.
- The 4GB of internal storage means at least over 60 hours of music playback.
- The device comes with a high-contrast OLED screen that makes possible convenient and easy access to everything the music player has to offer.
- There is economic use of space because the gold-plated charging cable is the same unit used as a connection to your computer, making for easier and versatile transfer and management of songs.
- This mp3 player is submersible and still fully functional to a depth of at least 3 meters.
- Even though it’s waterproof, it functions less admirably when submerged in water.
- The device itself is placed behind your head if underwater, so accessing it can prove cumbersome for some.
- There are less options when it comes to the audio formats supported by this mp3 player.
7. Diver DB-10
If you’re looking for earphones that stay in place throughout the duration of your underwater activities, then the Diver DB-10 is the one for you. Regardless whether you’re doing kick-turns or diving headfirst into the water, these hooked earphones stay in place as if glued to you.
- Each unit comes with a 12-month warranty.
- The player comes in either blue or pink color.
- The inbuilt memory is 4GB large.
- The build of the player means it can be submerged for a total of 24 hours with no damage.
- The hooked earphone design means it’s nearly impossible for them to come loose once you plug them into your ears.
- The Diver DB-10 itself is compatible with other Bluetooth earphones, so it can be used on land with any earphone or headphone which supports Bluetooth functionality.
- It’s pretty basic, especially with far more advanced players out there boasting numerous features.
- The device is lauded by users, but those same users claim the included earphones lack the quality of the device.
- At $40 dollars, some say the price is too high for the basic features you’re getting.
8. Swimbuds Syryn
SYRN is an awesome player, that much is fact. It meets the IPX-8 standard and remains functional even when submerged to a depth of 10 feet. Much the same great things can be said about Swimbuds. These waterproof earphones were designed to withstand all types of water activities. The cords are really short, meaning they make for a hassle-free use and experience.
- The extra-short cords allow more versatility, especially when swimming.
- The SYRN player meets IPX-8 standards, so it is completely waterproof.
- The player has a shuffle feature that though optional, is “fresh” and appreciated.
- The complimentary swimming googles included in the pack are a nice treat.
- The pack also comes with a tube of FitGoo which enables you to get and maintain a watertight fit when putting in your earphones.
- The design is very simple and yet still elegant.
9. AGPTek 8GB S66
This mp3 player screams of high quality. It is a relatively new product. Both the device and earphones are waterproof, but the sturdy clip that comes with the player is one of its more unique features. This 360° rotating clip means the chances of the earphones falling off during exercise are very slim.
- The player supports mp3, WAV and WMA audio formats.
- The coiled earphone cords make for great convenience because they pose less of a risk of becoming entangled around you.
- Each unit comes with a 1-year warranty.
- It comes with a complimentary pair of swimming goggles.
- The 8GB internal storage supports a shuffle feature for your music tracks.
- At least 4 to 6 hours of music playback, albeit at medium or low volume.
- Syncing with both Windows and Mac can prove troublesome sometimes.
- It’s not as reliable as its build suggests.
- Has limited support for audio formats as it only supports the major ones.
10. Waterfi 8GB
This is an all-purpose device that functions as great as it looks. Whether you’re surfing, swimming or paddling, you’ll find good use of the Waterfi’s features. The large 8GB memory means none of your songs have to be missing in your playlists, and the FM radio means permits you to listen in on all the gossip and latest events transpiring around the world of music.
- Comes with an FM radio.
- Has 8GB worth of storage, which equals over 2000 songs.
- It’s very lightweight, so very portable.
- The battery lasts over 10 hours.
- The short earphones cords are also waterproof, as is the device.
- Has dual playback modes: Normal and shuffle.
- The response by the company’s customer care is not very admirable.
- With support for only 3 audio formats-FLAC, WMA and mp3-there is a limit to the kind of music files you can sync into the device.
- The weight of the device is great for many, but many more find it too light and as such, liable to be misplaced.
So, there you have it. 10 of the best waterproof mp3 players out there. I’ve told you all about them, now the choice is up to you. Choose one that fits you most pressing or important needs. Either way, you can’t go wrong with any of them.
I’ll leave you with one final message: Always remember to come up for air when swimming, yeah? Don’t let the sweet music make you forget you’re under the water, not walking on land. Cheers!